Rebecca is an orofacial myologist.
Orofacial myology has been defined as: “The study and treatment of oral and facial muscles as they relate to speech, dentition, chewing/bolus collection, swallowing and overall mental and physical health.” -Sandra Holtzman
Rebecca assesses the functional abilities of the following for improved eating, drinking, speech and sleep outcomes:
An orofacial myology program can help a child or adult:
- stop using a tongue thrust
- improve articulation and speech intelligibility
- improve swallowing ability as it relates to chewing and moving food in the mouth
- improve the ability for a client to breathe through their nose with their mouth closed
- reduce teeth moving after orthodontics are in place
- top a thumb-sucking habit
- stop a pacifier habit
- stop a nail-biting habit
Services may be provided weekly or monthly depending on the need. Referrals may be made to other professionals such as ear, nose and throat doctors, dentists, orthodontists, sleep doctors or bodyworkers for additional assistance throughout the treatment process for improved outcomes.